Lake Pleasant and New Waddell Dam
New Waddell Dam is located on the Agua Fria River about 35 miles northwest of Phoenix, Arizona, and impounds Lake Pleasant. The primary purpose of this facility is to store Colorado River water for CAP use. The dam also stores Agua Fria River runoff and provides flood protection by controlling the river flows. New Waddell Dam is located one-half mile downstream of the original Waddell Dam, which is now covered in the enlarged Lake Pleasant. The original Waddell Dam was built by the Maricopa Water District (MWD) to provide water for MWD lands on the west side of Phoenix. MWD continues to receive its water supply from Lake Pleasant.
This collection contains the results of cultural resource investigations and records of cultural resource management for the Lake Pleasant area.
Site Type Keywords
Domestic Structure or Architectural Complex • Domestic Structures • Resource Extraction / Production / Transportation Structure or Features • Archaeological Feature • Artifact Scatter • Field House • Rock Shelter • Rock Art • Petroglyph • Settlements
Site Stewardship Monitoring • Archaeological Overview • Records Search / Inventory Checking • Site Evaluation / Testing • Systematic Survey • Data Recovery / Excavation • Heritage Management
Yavapai County (County) • Arizona (State / Territory) • United States of America (Country) • North America (Continent) • Lake Pleasant Regional Park • US (ISO Country Code) • Maricopa County (County) • Agua Fria River • Tule Creek • USA (Country)
Resources Inside This Collection (Viewing 1-12 of 12)
There are 12 Images within this Collection [remove this filter]
- Cultural Resource Assessment of 13 Archaeological Sites Located in Lake Pleasant Regional Park: Select Photos (2006)
- Cultural Resources Assessment of 39 Archaeological Sites in the Agua Fria Conservation Area: Select Photos (2007)
- Damage Assessment of AZ T:4:157(ASM) and AZ T:4:156(ASM) in Lake Pleasant Regional Park, Yavapai County, Arizona: Select Photos (2003)
- Homesteading and Ranching in the Vicinity of Lake Pleasant Regional Park, Maricopa and Yavapai Counties, Arizona: Select Photos (2007)
- Phase 1 Investigations at AZ T:4:150(ASM), A Multicomponent Rockshelter: Select Photos of Coring and Testing (2009)
- Phase 1 Investigations at AZ T:4:150(ASM), A Multicomponent Rockshelter: Select Photos of Surface Collection (2009)