Archaeological Investigations Near Mobridge, South Dakota
During the months of July and August, 1956, excavations were conducted by a University of Wisconsin field party at four village sites on the Missouri River in the vicinity of Mobridge, South Dakota. The field work formed part of the salvage operations in this region which was soon to be flooded by water impounded behind a dam constructed near the city of Pierre. The selection of the sites for study was based on a brief reconnaissance of the area made in April, 1956, in the company of Paul L. Beaubien, Archaeologist on the staff of the National Parks Service. It was determined that excavations would be conducted at the Spiry-Elko site (39WW3), the Spiry site (39WW10), the Bamble Site (39CA6), and the Kvamme Site (39CA9). The following report represents an analysis of the materials form these sites.
The Archives of Archaeology Series is a 29-volume set jointly published by the University of Wisconsin Press and the Society for American Archaeology on opaque microcards, a now obsolete format. The Mississippi Valley Archaeology Center at the University of Wisconsin—La Crosse has digitized the original opaque microcards and made the digital copies available through tDAR. More information on the process of digitizing the series can be found in Joseph Tiffany’s 2012 article entitled "Digitizing the Archives of Archaeology Series" in the SAA Archaeological Record (http://onlinedigeditions.com/publication/?i=113770).
Cite this Record
Archaeological Investigations Near Mobridge, South Dakota. David A. Baerreis, John E. Dallman. Archives of Archaeology ,Number 14. Washington D.C. and Madison, WI : Society for American Archaeology and the University of Wisconsin Press. 1961 ( tDAR id: 374882) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8D799NH
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -100.486; min lat: 45.51 ; max long: -100.385; max lat: 45.567 ;
General Note: Kvamme Site (39CA90) excavated as part of this project but not described in this report.
General Note: A paper copy of this report is available at the Mississippi Valley Archaeology Center, University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|aofa-vol-14.pdf||51.12mb||Apr 3, 2012 10:22:06 AM||Public|