tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Perishable: Twined Sandal AMNH 29.0/8311

Creator(s): Laurie Webster

Year: 2006

» Downloads & Basic Metadata


Twined Sandal, Accession AMNH29.0, Catalog #8311. Morris FS 1806. Analyzed by Laurie Webster, 2006. Thick, coarse, twined yucca fiber sandal, 2-strand twining (S). Images: AMNH 29.0/8311A: coarse twined sandal, upper face. AMNH 29.0/8311B: coarse twined sandal, lower face. AMNH 29.0/8311C: close-up of toe end, lower face. Note four holes. AMNH 29.0/8311D: close-up of curved heel, lower face. Recovered from Earl Morris' excavation of Room125-2, Aztec West Ruin. Morris (1928:361) indicates that “The floor of Room 125-2 was unstained by use. Covering it was from 2 to 6 inches of earth laid down in thin strata by storms. In the debris overlying the storm deposit there was much charcoal from the burned ceiling, as well as chunks of adobe from the third floor, fired from black to dull red in color and as hard as brick. Mixed with the charred material were a black-on-white mug, a polished slab, ceremonial sticks, yucca cord, five charred sandals, and an incomplete sandal, as well as a shattered mug, two dressed stone slabs, and some mosaic elements of shell and turquoise.”

Reference: Earl Morris, 1928, Notes on Excavations in the Aztec Ruin, Volume XXVI, Part V, Anthropological Papers of the American Museum of Natural History, New York.

Cite this Record

Perishable: Twined Sandal AMNH 29.0/8311. Laurie Webster. 2006. Aztec Ruins National Monument ( tDAR id: 373647) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8X065BC


Temporal Coverage

Calendar Date: 1110 to 1140 (Late Chacoan)

Calendar Date: 1140 to 1280 (Post-Chacoan)

Spatial Coverage

min long: -108.038; min lat: 36.803 ; max long: -107.955; max lat: 36.861 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Gary Brown

Contributor(s): Lori Reed ; Joel Gamache ; Anne Grulich ; Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, NM ; Aztec Ruins National Monument

Principal Investigator(s): Laurie Webster

Repository(s): American Museum of Natural History


Rights & Attribution: Artifact was collected from Aztec West Ruin excavations by Earl Morris between 1916 and 1922. Morris' excavations were sponsored and funded by the American Museum of Natural History, New York.

Rights & Attribution: High resolution images of the item are archived and available to researchers through the National Park Service, Aztec Ruins National Monument.

Rights & Attribution: Publication or use of the image is restricted; permission may be obtained through consultation with American Museum of Natural History and Aztec Ruins National Monument.

Source Collections

Original Item: American Museum of Natural History, New York
Image: NPS, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico

Related Comparative Collections

Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Hibben Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
Aztec Ruins Collections housed at American Museum of Natural History, New York
Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico

File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
amnh-29-0-8311d.jpg 575.92kb Dec 29, 2011 10:05:53 AM Public
amnh-29-0-8311b.jpg 300.50kb Dec 29, 2011 10:05:57 AM Public
amnh-29-0-8311c.jpg 576.23kb Dec 29, 2011 10:06:01 AM Public
amnh-29-0-8311a.jpg 233.76kb Dec 29, 2011 8:40:53 AM Public
Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America