EAMC Phases (CUGL)
Part of the Exploring the Archaeology of the Modern City project
Year: 2006Primary Copyright Holder: La Trobe University
Phase numbers from the Phases table for the CUGL site only.
Cite this Record
EAMC Phases (CUGL). Penny Crook, Tim Murray, La Trobe University. 2006 ( tDAR id: 407192) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8DR2XK7
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
No categories or subcategories specified.
|Mapped Ontology Node
|Pre-1788: Includes all deposits in existence before European settlement. This includes bedrock and sub-soil deposits. Pre-contact cultural material associated with the Aboriginal occupation of the site in included in this phase.
|Early European Occupation
|1788– c1810: European occupation or use of the site prior to the formalisation of the various properties during the Macquarie Period. This phases includes contact, clearance as well as irregular occupation by Europeans. The initial Byrne family occupancy fails within this period and extends into the following periods.
|Formal land division
|c1810–c1833: Formal alienation of land and Cribb occupancy of the southern half of the site. Subdivision of the Gloucester Street frontage with the development of residences and dwellings.
|Early subdivision and occupation
|c1833–c1851: Subdivision of part of southern half of site along Cumberland Street, extension of Byrne House, further development along Gloucester Street.
|Further subdivision and occupation
|c1851–c1880: This phase was instituted in order to break the post-1850 period into two smaller units. During this phase subdivisions took place on the southern half of the site under Massey and in the Byrne property in the north resulting in the construction of the Cribbs Lane–Carahers Lane terraces.
|Intensive occupation and decline
|c1880–c1900: The final phase of the site's function as a residential community prior to the outbreak of the Plague, characterised by close settlement and possible break-down of service infrastructure.
|c1900–c1916: Visitation of the Plague. Gradual removal of dwellings, levelling of the site and the introduction of fill in some areas.
|c1916–c1924: Use of the site as both Engineering works, railway workshop and training facility.
|c1924–c1950: Use of the site as motor garage and other undetermined uses.
|c1950–c1972: Removal of structures and installation of concrete slab over site for use as a bus-parking depot.
|Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority
|c1972–1994: Control of the site by the Sydney Cove Redevelopment Authority, later the Sydney Cove Authority and now the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority. Little change to the physical structure of the site apart from dumping along the eastern margin.
|1994: Archaeological investigation, (Use this phase for unstratified contexts.)
|Special Coding Rules: These entries are not in the coding-sheet, but represent edge-cases in Data Integration that may benefit from custom mappings
|The following coding rules exist in datasets mapped to this coding sheet, but are not in the coding sheet
TDAR ID(s): 7193
FAIMS ID(s): repo.fedarch.org/coding-sheet/7193
This Coding Sheet is Used by the Following Datasets:
|Aug 20, 2016 11:23:44 AM