Upload & Contribute to tDAR
- PDF Documents (.pdf)
- Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
- Rich Text Documents (.rtf)
- Plain Text Documents (.txt)
- Tagged Image File Format (.tiff, .tif)
- JPEG Image (.jpg, .jpeg)
- Portable Network Graphics (.png)
- Other (.bmp, .gif, .pict)
- Comma Separated Values (.csv)
- Tab Separated Values (.tab)
- Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx)
- Microsoft Access (.accdb, .mdb)
- Georectified images (GeoTIFF & GeoJPG)
- Remote Sensing Files
- 3D Scans
Confidentiality & Access Rights
Should you have sensitive materials, you have a number of options for protecting it in tDAR:
- Redaction of Lat/Long or coordinate information
- Limiting access to designated users
- Marking files as confidential
- Embargoing access to materials for 4 years
Things to Consider
As you collect your data and digital documents, keep these important things in mind:
- File naming conventions: Make it easy to distinguish different stages, drafts of documents, spreadsheets, databases, etc. Provide the most complete and recent set of data for long-term preservation and access.
- Back up files: Don’t lose important data and have to recreate them.
- Protection: Separate potentially confidential information.
- Once marked as confidential or embargoed, only users you specify can view or download files.
- Consistency is key.
What to put into tDAR:
- various kinds of documents, e.g., reports of archaeological field investigations, articles and presentations, field or lab notes, catalogs, dissertations or theses, collections and historical research, and historical documents and correspondence about archaeological resources, research projects, and organizations;
- spreadsheets, databases, and coding sheets that describe archaeological data sets about artifacts, features, sites, or other archaeological phenomenon;
- photographs, maps, and illustrations of archaeological resources or related to archaeological investigations; and,
- data about archaeological resources collected by various sensors, e.g., GPS, GIS, Resisitivity, GPR, and various sonar instruments.