tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Archaeological Surveys of Chaco Canyon, New Mexico

Author(s): Alden C. Hayes ; David M. Brugge ; James W. Judge

Year: 1981

» Downloads & Basic Metadata

Summary

The Chaco Center became operational in 1971 as a joint venture of the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, and the University of New Mexico. Both organizations had been involved with the Chaco for many years prior to that time. Chaco Canyon National Monument was established in 1907 to protect and preserve its numerous, outstanding archeological resources for the benefit of the public. It has been administered by the National Park Service since 1916. The University of New Mexico held title to certain inholdings in the park until 1931 when ownership was conveyed to the Department of the Interior in return for privileges allowing the University to continue to conduct scientific research in Chaco Canyon. Investigations in the field have included three archeological surveys, two of which are addressed in this report. The third consisted of identifying a series of outliers, Chaco sites outside the main stem of the canyon which contributed to the formation of a greater Chaco system.


This Resource is Part of the Following Collections


Cite this Record

Archaeological Surveys of Chaco Canyon, New Mexico. Alden C. Hayes, David M. Brugge, James W. Judge. Publications in Archaeology ,18A . Washington, D.C.: National Park Service. 1981 ( tDAR id: 378058) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8K64JX8


Keywords


Spatial Coverage

min long: -108.108; min lat: 35.802 ; max long: -107.765; max lat: 36.235 ;

Record Identifiers

NADB document id number(s): 2155018

NADB citation id number(s): 000000009898

File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
hayes_archaeological-surveys-of-chaco-canyon-new-mexico.pdf 15.59mb Sep 26, 2012 11:58:40 AM Public
Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America