tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

An Archeological Overview and Assessment of the CAR2015 Project at Jefferson National Expansion Memorial

Author(s): Timothy Schilling

Year: 2013

» Downloads & Basic Metadata

Summary

The Gateway Arch lies at the center of Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (JEFF). The Arch is a commemorative feature built by NPS to mark the St. Louis riverfront as a pivotal place in America’s westward expansion. The site was the created by President Franklin Roosevelt by executive order in 19351 and is first place to be recognized under the Historic Sites Act of 1935, which was designed “to preserve for public use historic sites, buildings, and objects of national significance for the inspiration and benefit of the people of the United States.” Under the act, NPS was empowered to “erect and maintain tablets to mark or commemorate historic or prehistoric places and events of national historical or archaeological significance.” NPS, following the guidance of Thomas Tallmadge, determined that only three buildings along the waterfront were nationally significant. The remaining buildings were demolished to make way for a planned memorial.


This Resource is Part of the Following Collections


Cite this Record

An Archeological Overview and Assessment of the CAR2015 Project at Jefferson National Expansion Memorial. Timothy Schilling. 2013 ( tDAR id: 398850) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8K35WS7


Keywords


Spatial Coverage

min long: -95.933; min lat: 36.28 ; max long: -88.945; max lat: 40.681 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Anne Vawser

Contributor(s): Timothy Schilling

Repository(s): Midwest Archeological Center, National Park Service


File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
MWAC-Report_Schilling_Overview-and-Assessment-at-JEFF_2014.pdf 2.58mb Jun 7, 2015 7:20:00 PM Public
Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America