Recommendations and Preliminary Report on Investigations of Certain Portions of Old Creek Town Park, Eufaula, Alabama, Jackson (1BR35) 1976-1978
The major portion of Old Creek Town Park is located at the northeastern corner of Eufaula, Alabama in the NW quadrant of the NW quadrant of Section 27, TUN, R29E. The latitude and longitude of the central portion of the site Is N 31°5'52", W 85°07'16". The current highest elevation on the site is approximately 203 feet or 62 meters above mean sea level. The original lowest elevation for the site is unknown, but Huscher (1959) gives a lowest elevation of 190 feet or 58 meters above mean sea level.
The site is, and had been for some time prior to 1958 (Huscher: n.d.), primarily in open pasture. It is situated on an E-W oriented second terrace point immediately south of what had originally been an unnamed spring branch and which is now flooded (see Pig. 2). The site was originally approximately 2300 feet or 700 meters from the Chattahoochee River near Mile 100 above its confluence with the Flint River. Since 1962, it has become a peninsula projecting into the Walter F. George Reservoir (Lake Eufaula). The portion of the peninsula: on which the site is located is approximately 500 meters wide (N-S) and over 700 meters long (E-W). So far as can be determined from current evidence, the site covered an area of approximately 13 hectare or 32 acres. The area of the site examined consists primarily of light tan to brown sand with a substrate of red, lateritic sandy clay. The substrate is exposed at the surface on lower sections of the site. A maximum depth for the sand on the site as a whole has not been determined, but in some areas it appears to exceed one meter in thickness.
Cite this Record
Recommendations and Preliminary Report on Investigations of Certain Portions of Old Creek Town Park, Eufaula, Alabama, Jackson (1BR35) 1976-1978. Frank T. Schnell. 1976 ( tDAR id: 428134) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8P84FKM
min long: -85.246; min lat: 31.583 ; max long: -84.812; max lat: 32.468 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Principal Investigator(s): Frank Schnell
Landowner(s): US Army Corps of Engineers, Mobile District
Prepared By(s): Columbus Museum of Arts and Crafts
Submitted To(s): City of Eufala
General Note: The digital materials in this collection were processed by the Veterans Curation Program (VCP), and include the artifact database, artifact report, finding aid, original investigation report, oversized material spreadsheet, and scanned asset key. Additional digital materials held by the VCP include correspondence, document folder listing, initial data collection, oversized material labels, and records removal sheet. For additional information on these materials, refer to the Finding Aid.
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|0044-0004_OCR_PDFA.pdf||8.19mb||Apr 21, 2017 11:23:36 AM||Confidential|