Archeological Site Survey, Basic Data Report, BPI_0526, N.D.
Part of the Blossom Point Project Page (DRAFT) project
This oyster shell deposit was first mapped by Wilke and Thompson (1977). The site covers approximately 7 1/2 acres and is characterized by densely packed shells to 3 feet in thickness. According to the 1937 aerial coverage (ASCS Frame AHU-2-118), portions if not all of this site have been plowed. This site is separated by a small valley and marsh system from site 18CH157 which is situated immediately to the south. A successional stand of pine and open grassy areas now cover the site. No artifacts were recovered by Geo-Recon who reidentified the site in 1980, but radiocarbon samples were taken. These dated to 1300 +/- 100 B.P. and 2240 +/- 75 B.P., suggesting a Middle Woodland date for the site. MAAR found 1 quartz shatter, 1 quartzite flake, and 1 fire-cracked rock in 2 stps on this site.
Cite this Record
Archeological Site Survey, Basic Data Report, BPI_0526, N.D.. 2018 ( tDAR id: 440987) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8440987
min long: -79.514; min lat: 38.565 ; max long: -76.349; max lat: 39.749 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Landowner(s): Harry Diamond Laboratories, Adelphi, MD
Repository(s): Adelphi Laboratory
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|BPI_0526_ArcheologicalSiteSurveyBasicDataReport18CH214_1995_OC...||2.66mb||Mar 15, 2018 7:37:26 AM||Confidential|