Ceramic: Flagstaff Black-on-white, canteen, AZRU-00008/4973
Creator(s): Lori Reed
Flagstaff Black-on-white, canteen (fragmentary), Accession AZRU-00008, Catalog #4973, Morris FS ??. Analyzed by Lori Reed 2006. Fine sand and sherd temper suggests the canteen was manufactured in the Kayenta region. Fragments represent only about 75% of vessel. No rim available for orifice measurements. Image AZRU8-4973 A: exterior view of canteen fragment showing design on vessel body and handle. Recovered from Earl Morris excavation of Room 43, Aztec West Ruin. Morris indicated that “two floor levels were found in Room 43. In the center of the upper floor was a fire pit lined with sandstone. Between the floors were 3- feet of refuse containing some fallen wall stones and timbers, large pine logs, small round poles, and cedar splints, composing the full quota of wooden elements for a ceiling. This refuse was a Chaco deposit from which came a mammal bone awl and a ladle of black-on-white ware (Field Nos. 4230, 4653) and numerous potsherds. Burial 81 was beneath the lower floor. West of the center of the south wall is a blocked and almost obliterated door. Built up in the room against it was a masonry ventilator shaft, like those with which kivas were equipped, extending down to the lower floor.” (Morris 1928:296) Reference: Earl Morris, 1928, Notes on Excavations in the Aztec Ruin, Volume XXVI, Part V, Anthropological Papers of the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
Cite this Record
Ceramic: Flagstaff Black-on-white, canteen, AZRU-00008/4973. Lori Reed. 2006. Aztec Ruins National Monument ( tDAR id: 374148) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8GQ6W66
Aztec Ruins, West Ruin
Late Chacoan - Post Chacoan Period
Calendar Date: 1110 to 1140 (Late Chacoan)
Calendar Date: 1140 to 1280 (Post-Chacoan)
min long: -108.038; min lat: 36.803 ; max long: -107.955; max lat: 36.861 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Gary Brown
Principal Investigator(s): Lori Reed
Repository(s): American Museum of Natural History, New York City, NY
Rights & Attribution: Artifact was collected from Aztec West Ruin excavations by Earl Morris between 1916 and 1922. Morris' excavations were sponsored and funded by the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
Rights & Attribution: High resolution images of the item are archived and available to researchers through the National Park Service, Aztec Ruins National Monument.
Rights & Attribution: Publication or use of the image is restricted; permission may be obtained through consultation with American Museum of Natural History and Aztec Ruins National Monument.
|Original Item: Property of American Museum of Natural History, New York.|
|Image: NPS, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Original Item: Housed at Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
Related Comparative Collections
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Hibben Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at American Museum of Natural History, New York|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|azru8-4973-a.jpg||101.45kb||Dec 30, 2011 2:49:32 PM||Public|