Perishable: Cotton Cloth AMNH 29.0/8857
Creator(s): Laurie Webster
Cotton Cloth, Accession AMNH29.0, Catalog #8857. Morris FS 2347. Analyzed by Laurie Webster, 2006. Fragment of 1/1 plain weave cotton cloth. Image: AMNH 29.0/8857A: narrow strip of plain-weave cotton cloth with intact end selvage. Recovered from Earl Morris' excavation of Room 115, Aztec West Ruin. Earl Morris’ description of Room 115 at the time of excavation is as follows: “Upon the floor of Room 115 were quantities of gypsum and a gray shaly clay, probably materials used in pottery making…The next element of the fill was refuse…The greater depth in the southwest corner was due to the fact that the refuse had been poured in through a stair tunnel in the west end of the south wall. More than twenty-five years ago unknown parties sawed out a section of the western supporting timber near the north wall and also the south. To a height of 1 foot 10 inches this wall showed patches of red plaster and 6 inches farther up, flakes of white still adhered. As the space between had peeled off, the height of union between red and white could not be determined” (Morris 1928:358). Reference: Earl Morris, 1928, Notes on Excavations in the Aztec Ruin, Volume XXVI, Part V, Anthropological Papers of the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
Cite this Record
Perishable: Cotton Cloth AMNH 29.0/8857. Laurie Webster. 2006. Aztec Ruins National Monument ( tDAR id: 374522) ; doi:10.6067/XCV89W0CK4
Aztec Ruins, West Ruin
Late Chacoan - Post Chacoan Period
Calendar Date: 1110 to 1140 (Late Chacoan)
Calendar Date: 1140 to 1280 (Post-Chacoan)
min long: -108.038; min lat: 36.803 ; max long: -107.955; max lat: 36.861 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Lori Reed
Principal Investigator(s): Laurie Webster
Rights & Attribution: High resolution images of the item are archived and available to researchers through the National Park Service, Aztec Ruins National Monument.
Rights & Attribution: Publication or use of the image is restricted; permission may be obtained through consultation with American Museum of Natural History and Aztec Ruins National Monument.
Rights & Attribution: Artifact was collected from Aztec West Ruin excavations by Earl Morris between 1916 and 1922. Morris' excavations were sponsored and funded by the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
|Original Items: American Museum of Natural History, New York, and NPS, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Image: NPS, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
Related Comparative Collections
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Hibben Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at American Museum of Natural History, New York|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|amnh-29-0-8857a.jpg||166.43kb||Jan 24, 2012 10:37:15 AM||Public|