Perishable: Twined Sandal AMNH 29.0/9048
Creator(s): Laurie Webster
Twined Sandal, Accession AMNH29.0, Catalog #9048 . Morris FS 2541. Analyzed by Laurie Webster, 2006. Fragments of a coarse twined sandal, yucca leaf, 2-strand twining (S), Paired warps. Images: AMNH 29.0/9048A: ten fragments of coarse twined sandal. AMNH 29.0/9048B: close-up of one fragment showing remains of toe loop. Recovered from Earl Morris' excavation of Room 112, Aztec West Ruin. Earl Morris’ description of Room 112 at the time of excavation is as follows. “A wash of sand, seldom more than 1 inch thick, covered the floor of Room 112. Upon it lay a stratum of partially charred vegetable refuse from 2 to 3 inches in thickness…[Explanation of artifacts]. On top of the burned refuse….was washed and blown earth 5 to 9 inches thick, packed almost as hard as stone. The ceiling of Room 112 is standing. Fire…. caught in the ceiling, but went out before it did more than blacken and check the timbers. Two pine logs, 11 inches and 1 foot in diameter, respectively, form the support. This room was one of those entered by relic hunters during the early eighties….There are open ventilators, one in each end of the north wall.” (Morris1928: 357). Reference: Earl Morris, 1928, Notes on Excavations in the Aztec Ruin, Volume XXVI, Part V, Anthropological Papers of the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
Cite this Record
Perishable: Twined Sandal AMNH 29.0/9048. Laurie Webster. 2006. Aztec Ruins National Monument ( tDAR id: 374540) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8D21VM2
Aztec Ruins, West Ruin
Late Chacoan - Post Chacoan Period
Calendar Date: 1110 to 1140 (Late Chacoan)
Calendar Date: 1140 to 1280 (Post-Chacoan)
min long: -108.038; min lat: 36.803 ; max long: -107.955; max lat: 36.861 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Lori Reed
Principal Investigator(s): Laurie Webster
Rights & Attribution: High resolution images of the item are archived and available to researchers through the National Park Service, Aztec Ruins National Monument.
Rights & Attribution: Publication or use of the image is restricted; permission may be obtained through consultation with American Museum of Natural History and Aztec Ruins National Monument.
Rights & Attribution: Artifact was collected from Aztec West Ruin excavations by Earl Morris between 1916 and 1922. Morris' excavations were sponsored and funded by the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
|Original Items: American Museum of Natural History, New York, and NPS, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Image: NPS, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
Related Comparative Collections
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Hibben Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at American Museum of Natural History, New York|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|amnh-29-0-9048b.jpg||275.78kb||Jan 30, 2012 2:01:33 PM||Public|
|amnh-29-0-9048a.jpg||308.83kb||Jan 24, 2012 10:39:11 AM||Public|