Perishable: Twined Sandal AMNH 29.0/9456
Creator(s): Laurie Webster
Twined Sandal, Accession AMNH29.0, Catalog #9456. Morris FS 2940. Analyzed by Laurie Webster, 2006. Description. Measurements: Images: AMNH 29.0/9456A: toe fragment from twined sandal, upper face. AMNH 29.0/9456B: toe fragment from twined sandal, lower face. Recovered from Earl Morris' excavation of Room 139, Aztec West Ruin. Earl Morris’ description of Room 139 at the time of excavation is as follows: “When the writer broke through the veneer of masonry which sealed the north side of the door leading into Room 139 from Room 143, the condition of the ceiling dictated a hasty retreat. The supports were of cedar instead of pine. Evidently realizing the brittleness of this kind of wood, the builders spanned the room with two pairs of logs, each pair taking the place of the customary single beam of pine. On the floor of the room was dry refuse with a fairly large admixture of vegetable substance. This refuse was very rich in specimens.” (Morris 1928:366) Reference: Earl Morris, 1928, Notes on Excavations in the Aztec Ruin, Volume XXVI, Part V, Anthropological Papers of the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
Cite this Record
Perishable: Twined Sandal AMNH 29.0/9456. Laurie Webster. 2006. Aztec Ruins National Monument ( tDAR id: 374585) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8BP01TT
Aztec Ruins, West Ruin
Late Chacoan - Post Chacoan Period
Calendar Date: 1110 to 1140 (Late Chacoan)
Calendar Date: 1140 to 1280 (Post-Chacoan)
min long: -108.038; min lat: 36.803 ; max long: -107.955; max lat: 36.861 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Lori Reed
Principal Investigator(s): Laurie Webster
General Note: High resolution images of the item are archived and available to researchers through the National Park Service, Aztec Ruins National Monument.
General Note: Publication or use of the image is restricted; permission may be obtained through consultation with American Museum of Natural History and Aztec Ruins National Monument.
General Note: Artifact was collected from Aztec West Ruin excavations by Earl Morris between 1916 and 1922. Morris' excavations were sponsored and funded by the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
|Original Items: American Museum of Natural History, New York, and NPS, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Image: NPS, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
Related Comparative Collections
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Hibben Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at American Museum of Natural History, New York|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|amnh-29-0-9456a.jpg||255.20kb||Jan 24, 2012 11:08:05 AM||Public|
|amnh-29-0-9456b.jpg||267.46kb||Jan 30, 2012 2:07:11 PM||Public|