Perishable: Rush Bundle AMNH 29.0/9714
Creator(s): Laurie Webster
Rush Bundle, Accession AMNH29.0, Catalog #9714. Morris FS 3199. Analyzed by Laurie Webster, 2006. Wrapped and plied rush stems bound with 2Z-S yucca cordage. Images: AMNH 29.0/9714A: rush bundle bound with 2z-S yucca cordage. AMNH 29.0/9714B: close-up of bound end. AMNH 29.0/9714C: other face. Recovered from Earl Morris' excavation of Room 138, Aztec West Ruin. Earl Morris’ description of Room 138 at the time of excavation is as follows: “On the floor of Room 138 was a film of refuse containing Chaco potsherds…Thence upward, mixed with dust, wall wreckage, and rubbish from a deposit which had been in the second story, there was an almost inextricable tangle of pine timbers, splints, and cedar bark. There had been no fire above this area and all three ceilings had fallen into the first story room. Having been deeply buried, the wood was perfectly preserved. All of the ceilings had been of the same pattern: two pine log supports with pine poles resting upon them. As has been the case wherever observations have been possible, the supports of the successive ceilings were smaller than those of the ones beneath.” (Morris 1928:389). Reference: Earl Morris, 1928, Notes on Excavations in the Aztec Ruin, Volume XXVI, Part V, Anthropological Papers of the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
Cite this Record
Perishable: Rush Bundle AMNH 29.0/9714. Laurie Webster. 2006. Aztec Ruins National Monument ( tDAR id: 374612) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8MG7MRP
Aztec Ruins, West Ruin
Calendar Date: 1110 to 1140 (Late Chacoan)
Calendar Date: 1140 to 1280 (Post-Chacoan)
min long: -108.038; min lat: 36.803 ; max long: -107.955; max lat: 36.861 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Lori Reed
Principal Investigator(s): Laurie Webster
General Note: High resolution images of the item are archived and available to researchers through the National Park Service, Aztec Ruins National Monument.
General Note: Publication or use of the image is restricted; permission may be obtained through consultation with American Museum of Natural History and Aztec Ruins National Monument.
General Note: Artifact was collected from Aztec West Ruin excavations by Earl Morris between 1916 and 1922. Morris' excavations were sponsored and funded by the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
|Original Items: American Museum of Natural History, New York, and NPS, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Image: NPS, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
Related Comparative Collections
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Hibben Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at American Museum of Natural History, New York|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|amnh-29-0-9714c.jpg||240.99kb||Jan 30, 2012 12:05:26 PM||Public|
|amnh-29-0-9714b.jpg||312.33kb||Jan 30, 2012 12:05:29 PM||Public|
|amnh-29-0-9714a.jpg||230.88kb||Jan 24, 2012 11:11:19 AM||Public|