A Historical look at American Archeology
This project was set up by ASU undergraduate Aaron Deguzman for a individual study project that he did with FPMcManamon in the Spring semester of 2011. Included are digital copies of some of the historic publications he read and some of his written summaries and assessments of these readings. The following two paragraphs are Aaron's statement of what he hoped to get out of the readings course.
What I'd like to study is the history of archeology with an emphasis on the public outlook on archeology specific to the United States. The goal my study is to understand what archeology was, is currently, and what direction it is taking and the affect it has on the public. Literature for the course will include reports from American archeologists past and present, books specific to the subject of American archeology, archaeological journal entries which study the direction of archeology and the public view held on it, and historical documents which discuss archeology.
Much of this literature may be available online, and along with an opportunity to work with the Digital Antiquity Record, I may be able to make them accessible through it. Ultimately I would like to write an article, research paper, or thesis project that compares the public views of archeology past and present.
Cite this Record
A Historical look at American Archeology. ( tDAR id: 366270) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8805423
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Francis McManamon; Francis McManamon
General Note: This is project relates to a student individual study project by Aaron Deguzman undertaken in the Spring semester, 2011
Resources Inside this Project (Viewing 1-9 of 9)
- Documents (9)
- Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley (1848)
- The Antiquities Act of 1906 (2011)
- Antiquities of the Mesa Verde National Park, Spruce-Tree House (1909)
- Final Reort of the Investigations among the Indians of the South Western United States (1890)
- Notes on the State of Virginia: Query XI (1801)
- Writeup on Adolph Bandelier (2011)
- Writeup on Jesse Walter Fewkes (2011)
- Writeup on Squire and Davis (2011)
- Writeup on Thomas Jefferson (2011)