1820s (Temporal Keyword)
1-5 (5 Records)
Archive of papers from Volume 2 of the Australian Journal of Historical Archaeology, published by the Australian Society for Historical Society (ASHA) in 1984.
The Convict Road Station Site at Wisemans Ferry: an Historical and Archaeological Investigation (1984)
In examining the contribution of the convicts to Australia's early material history, archaeologists and architectural historians usually focus on impressive, durable structures such as public buildings and bridges. The convict road station site at Wisemans Ferry presents an alternative record. It comprises the remains of the temporary, rough dwellings of the convict gangs which constructed the Great North Road between 1826 and 1836, and it is particularly valuable because of the absence of...
A Forgotten Kingdom: The Spanish Frontier in Colorado and New Mexico, 1540-1821 (1989)
This volume represents a bridge between Colorado’s pre-historic past and the time of Anglo-American settlement in the state of Colorado. Few people realize that hundreds of years before the discovery of gold in Colorado during 1859, a highly developed civilization had explored and settled the area now known as New Mexico and Colorado. Spanish conquistadores roamed the plains in the mid-1500s. They came here permanently in 1598 and founded the second oldest city in North America. This long...
Mission Santa Ana del Quiquib Arizona Site Steward File (1974)
This is an Arizona Site Steward file for the Mission Santa Ana del Quiquib, comprised of a mission and village in use by the Spanish and Papago between the 1790s and 1850, located on Bureau of Land Management land. The file consists of an antiquities site inventory form. The earliest dated document is from 1974.
A Report Concerning Archaeological Monitoring of a Utilities Trench Undertaken at Tubac Presidio State Historic Park (ARIZ:DD:8:33) March, 1992 (1992)
During March of 1992 a small scale investigation involving archaeological monitoring was undertaken in connection with the creation of a utility trench in an area located between the Captain 's House and the post chapel at the Presidio of Tubac site. The work conducted included monitoring of the excavation of the trench and the creation of a series of profile drawings of the stratigraphy exposed. Because of rainy conditions a collection of artifacts was made from the soils disturbed by earth...