tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Intensive Cultural Resources Survey of the Argent East Tract

Author(s): Susannah Munson ; Carol Poplin ; Inna Burns

Year: 2003

» Downloads & Basic Metadata

Summary

"In October 2002, Brockington and Associates, Inc., conducted an intensive cultural resources survey of the 2,553 hectare Parcels A-K Portion of the Argent Tract (Argent East) in Jasper County, South Carolina. The project tract lies north and west of US Route 278 and Route S-27-141, and east of the Great Swamp. This survey provides compliance with local, state, and federal regulations concerning the management of cultural resources in the Coastal Zone of South Carolina.

Archaeologists identified 14 archaeological sites (38JA305-38JA318) and five isolated finds (Isolates 1-5). We recommend all 14 sites and the five isolated finds not eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. One previously identified archaeological site (38JA161) is recorded in project tract. However, we could not relocate 38JA161. Site 38JA161 likely was destroyed by the excavation of a borrow pit. We identified one extant building on the project tract. This building is less than 50 years old and therefore was not surveyed. There are no historic properties in or adjacent to the project tract. Further management consideration of the Parcels A-K, Argent East Tract with respect to cultural resources is not warranted."


This Resource is Part of the Following Collections


Cite this Record

Intensive Cultural Resources Survey of the Argent East Tract. Susannah Munson, Carol Poplin, Inna Burns. Mt. Pleasant, SC: Brockington and Associates, Inc. 2003 ( tDAR id: 391251) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8GH9K6Q


URL: http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/sciaa/


Keywords


Temporal Coverage

Calendar Date: 1975 to 1975 (The Northern portion was purchased back by the Union Camp Corporation)

Calendar Date: 1952 to 1975 (Northern portion of the tract owned by Horace W. Phillips)

Calendar Date: 1958 to 2003 (Land owned by Union Camp Corporation and subdivided)

Calendar Date: 1923 to 1958 (Land owned by Argent Lumber Company)

Calendar Date: 1915 to 1915 (A right of way on the Eastern portion of the tract was sold to Seaboard AIrline)

Calendar Date: 1923 to 1926 (The Okeetee Club and Cooler & Bennett tracts sold to Argent Lumber Company)

Calendar Date: 1922 to 1922 (A plat shows 124 acres owned by Cooler and Bennett on Thomas Swamp)

Calendar Date: 1726 to 1731 (Land granted to Isaac Lowndes)

Calendar Date: 1749 to 1847 (Land owned by John Guerard and son William)

Calendar Date: 1865 to 1865 (Deeds for Beaufort county, which included Jasper County, were burnt during a courthouse fire during the last year of the American Civil War)

Calendar Date: 1731 to 1749 (Land owned by Robert Thorpe)

Calendar Date: 1847 to 1847 (The land tract is subdivided)

Calendar Date: 1762 to 1762 (Year that the deed for the tract was recorded for John Guerard)

Calendar Date: 1847 to 1861 (The Southern portion of the land tract owned by Wilson Ferbee)

Calendar Date: 1861 to 1867 (Southern portion owned by Edward W. Sanders)

Calendar Date: 1867 to 1871 (Southern portion owned by Burrill Sanders)

Calendar Date: 1871 to 1874 (Southern Portion of the tract owned by Jane Sanders)

Calendar Date: 1874 to 1894 (Most of the Southern portion owned by Robbing, Boddington, and Company)

Calendar Date: 1874 to 1894 (During this time period Okeetee Club slowly bought the Southern portion of the tract in it's entirety)

Calendar Date: 1902 to 1902 (The first record of a purchase of the Northern tract by Northern Sportsmen)


Spatial Coverage

min long: -81.501; min lat: 32.077 ; max long: -80.726; max lat: 32.927 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Nand Gupta ; Paul Durfield ; Alton Brown ; Jonathan Leader

Contributor(s): David S. Baluha ; Brett Davis ; David Dellenbach ; Ellen Giese ; Mercedes Juliao ; Brent Lansdell ; Steve Lotti ; Joanna Rotchford ; Patrick Morgan ; Sarah Iselin ; Inna Burns ; Carol Poplin ; Susannah Munson

Field Director(s): Pat Hendrix

Lab Director(s): Catherine Runyan

Principal Investigator(s): Ralph Bailey

Sponsor(s): International Paper Company

Prepared By(s): Brockington and Associates, Inc.


File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
argenteastreport1909.pdf 21.58mb Jul 1, 2013 2:03:43 PM Confidential
redacted-argenteastreport1909.pdf 11.40mb Jul 2, 2013 3:09:52 PM Public

Accessing Restricted Files

At least one of the files for this resource is restricted from public view. For more information regarding access to these files, please reference the contact information below

Contact(s): Jonathan Leader

Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America