tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Road S-13 Improvements: Investigations of 38JA1006 and 38JA1007

Author(s): Inna Burns

Editor(s): Carol Poplin

Year: 2005

» Downloads & Basic Metadata

Summary

"In January 2005,Civil Engineering Consulting Services, Inc., (CECS) contracted with Brockington and Associates, Inc., to assess the current status and any potential effects of proposed road improvement activities on cultural resources 38JA1006 (Holy Trinity Church) and 38JA1007 (Euhaw Baptist Church), located on Road S-13 in Jasper County. The proposed road improvement project calls for paving a two foot wide strip along Road S-13, followed by a six foot grass shoulder. Site 38JA1006, Holy Trinity Church, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) and site 38JA1007, Euhaw Baptist Church, eligible for the NRHP.

The SCDOT is proposing the paving of a two foot wide strip along Road S-13, and installation of by a six foot grass shoulder. The area in front of the Church of the Holy Trinity (38JA1006) has been examined by the Jasper County Maintenance Office and it has been determined that the needed two-foot paved shoulder already exists along S-13 in front of the live oak grove. Therefore, no additional paving or associated shoulder work along this section of S-13 in front of the church would be needed and no impact would occur. The road improvements will not affect 38JA1007. Language should be added to the contact to indicate that no paving will occur along the roadway in front of the live oak grove. Furthermore, Language needs to be added to the contract to ensure that no construction equipment is located on either of the two historic sites to ensure that no unexcepted damage is done to either site."


This Resource is Part of the Following Collections


Cite this Record

Road S-13 Improvements: Investigations of 38JA1006 and 38JA1007. Inna Burns, Carol Poplin. Mt. Pleasant, SC: Brockington and Associates, Inc. 2005 ( tDAR id: 391267) ; doi:10.6067/XCV83B61F1


URL: http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/sciaa/


Keywords


Temporal Coverage

Calendar Date: 1829 to 1829 (William Heyward donated the land for the construction of the church)

Calendar Date: 1830 to 1830 (The Holy Trinity Church is built)

Calendar Date: 1858 to 1858 (The current church building was built on the site of the former original building)

Calendar Date: 1861 to 1865 (The American Civil War takes place and the Church is used as a headquarters for Union troops)

Calendar Date: 1751 to 1751 (The Euhaw Baptist Church was organized)

Calendar Date: 1865 to 1865 (Union forces burned the church near the creek in relation to the current Euhaw Church site)

Calendar Date: 1906 to 1906 (The Euhaw Church was destroyed by fire and the current church was constructed in the same year)

Calendar Date: 1824 to 1824 (The Holy Trinity Church is founded)


Spatial Coverage

min long: -81.226; min lat: 31.855 ; max long: -80.795; max lat: 32.543 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Jonathan Leader ; Bonnie Frick

Contributor(s): Carol Poplin ; Inna Burns

Principal Investigator(s): Ed Salo

Sponsor(s): The South Carolina Department of Transportation ; Civil Engineering Consulting Services, Inc.

Prepared By(s): Brockington and Associates, Inc.


Notes

General Note: "The SCDOT is proposing the paving of a two foot wide strip along Road S-13, and installation of by a six foot grass shoulder. The area in front of the Church of the Holy Trinity (38JA1006) has been examined by the Jasper County Maintenance Office and it has been determined that the needed two-foot paved shoulder already exists along S-13 in front of the live oak grove. Therefore, no additional paving or associated shoulder work along this section of S-13 in front of the church would be needed and no impact would occur. The road improvements will not affect 38JA1007. Language should be added to the contract to indicate that no paving will occur along the roadway in front of the live oak grove. Furthermore, language needs to be added to the contract to ensure that no construction equipment is located on either of the two historic sites to ensure that no unexcepted damage is done to either site."


File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
2419-final-report-two-churches.pdf 9.21mb Jul 11, 2013 2:34:45 PM Confidential
redacted-2419-final-report-two-churches.pdf 7.54mb Jul 11, 2013 2:34:51 PM Public

Accessing Restricted Files

At least one of the files for this resource is restricted from public view. For more information regarding access to these files, please reference the contact information below

Contact(s): Jonathan Leader

Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America