tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Beaver Island/Iles du Castor

Author(s): Edward J. Wahla

Year: 2014

» Downloads & Basic Metadata

Summary

Thirty-five miles northeast of Charlevoix in Lake Michigan lies a pleasant archipelago, "The Beavers". They were considered an outlying part of old Michillimackinac by the early French and seem to have been a haven for canoe Indians of the past who have left their mark in the form of low mounds and numerous stone-age relics scattered about the islands to be plowed up by farmers or gardeners. Irish today, a Mormon colony yesterday, a Chippewa garden in the past and a refuge for stone-age people before them, that is the history of the Beavers in a nutshell.


Cite this Record

Beaver Island/Iles du Castor. Edward J. Wahla. 2014 ( tDAR id: 393052) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8T154KB


Keywords


Temporal Coverage

Calendar Date: 1675 to 1850


Spatial Coverage

min long: -85.875; min lat: 45.499 ; max long: -85.254; max lat: 45.879 ;

Notes

Administration Note: This resource is a pre-print which has no known publication date or publisher.

Administration Note: A digital copy of this document has been made available in tDAR thanks to the assistance of Edward J Wahla's daughter, Marianne Holt, and his grandson, Jerome Wahla.


File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
Beaver-Island.pdf 209.76kb Jun 12, 2014 10:40:23 AM Public
This resource is a pre-print which has no known publication date or publisher. A digital copy of this document has been made available in tDAR thanks to the assistance of Edward J Wahla's daughter, Marianne Holt, and his grandson, Jerome Wahla.
Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America