tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Miami Occupation of the Upper Wabash Drainage: A Preliminary Study Unit, Miami Occupation of the Upper Wabash Drainage

Author(s): William R. Wepler

Year: 1984

» Downloads & Basic Metadata

Summary

This report is focused on the occupation and utilization of the Upper Wabash drainage by the Miami during the period beginning with the contact of the Europeans (ca. 1650) and ending with the participation of the last tribally owned lands within the state of Indiana in 1873; the primary focus of the project is on the era between 1795 and 1881. This project is a direct outgrowth of several ethnohistorical and archaeological studies conducted within the Upper Wabash drainage in recent years. Although basic research interests as reflected in the studies revolve around varied archaeological and ethnohistorical problems, the most pressing concern to emerge is the need for identification and conservation of a resource base that is rapidly being depleted. Many ethnohistoric sites within and around the limits of the Upper Wabash drainage have been engulfed in the expansion of urban centers at Fort Wayne, Huntington, Kokomo, Muncie, Anderson, and elsewhere. Other important sites, including Osage Village, are currently under cultivation and are annually suffering further damage from agriculture and erosion. Flood control projects throughout the drainage have claimed such sites as Deaf Man’s Village, the home of Frances Slocum.


This Resource is Part of the Following Collections


Cite this Record

Miami Occupation of the Upper Wabash Drainage: A Preliminary Study Unit, Miami Occupation of the Upper Wabash Drainage. William R. Wepler. Report of Investigation ,16. Muncie, IN: Archaeological Resources Management Service, Ball State University. 1984 ( tDAR id: 399390) ; doi:10.6067/XCV89W0H8D


Keywords


Spatial Coverage

min long: -89.055; min lat: 36.976 ; max long: -85.913; max lat: 39.977 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): US Army Corps of Engineers Mandatory Center of Expertise for the Curation and Management of Archaeological Collections, St. Louis District

Principal Investigator(s): William R. Wepler

Landowner(s): US Army Corps of Engineers, Louisville District

Sponsor(s): US Department of the Interior

Repository(s): Applied Archaeology Laboratories, Ball State University

Prepared By(s): Archaeological Resources Management Service, Ball State University

Submitted To(s): US Army Corps of Engineers, Louisville District


Notes

General Note: The digital materials in this collection were processed by the Veterans Curation Program (VCP) and include the finding aid, investigation report, and the scanned asset key. Additional digital materials held by the VCP include archival notes, the document folder listing, and initial data sheet. For additional information on these materials, refer to the Finding Aid.


File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
1035-0001.pdf 10.65mb Oct 5, 2015 5:32:00 AM Confidential

Accessing Restricted Files

At least one of the files for this resource is restricted from public view. For more information regarding access to these files, please reference the contact information below

Contact(s): US Army Corps of Engineers Mandatory Center of Expertise for the Curation and Management of Archaeological Collections, St. Louis District

Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America