tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Artifact Report, Indian Hill Donation 1956

Part of the Indian Hill Donation 1956 project

Author(s): Amy Williams

Year: 2012

» Downloads & Basic Metadata

Summary

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), Louisville District archaeological collection was sent to the Veterans Curation Project’s (VCP) St. Louis laboratory in the fall of 2009. The VCP St. Louis laboratory was established by USACE St. Louis District’s Mandatory Center of Expertise for the Curation and Management of Archaeological Collections using American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 funds and staffed through Brockington and Associates. Human skeletal remains were removed from the Louisville District collection brought to St. Louis by St. Louis District physical anthropologist Cathy Van Arsdale prior to the materials being sent to the VCP lab. Because of the sensitive nature of human remains, it was determined that they would remain at the St. Louis District archaeological laboratory to be processed and labeled by Corps employees. Two investigations, including the Indian Hill donation, were almost entirely human remains and so were processed at the St. Louis District laboratory.

The procedures employed to re-house the archaeological material from the Indian Hill donation are discussed in the report and follow those procedures utilized by the VCP St. Louis laboratory. In the re-housing process of each investigative effort, the same standard procedures and Glenn A. Black Laboratory (GBL) guidelines were followed. Upon completion of the curation management project, collections were sent to GBL at Indiana University for permanent curation.


This Resource is Part of the Following Collections


Cite this Record

Artifact Report, Indian Hill Donation 1956. Amy Williams. 2012 ( tDAR id: 405533) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8V69MMV


Keywords


Spatial Coverage

min long: -87.485; min lat: 37.911 ; max long: -87.339; max lat: 38 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): US Army Corps of Engineers Mandatory Center of Expertise for the Curation and Management of Archaeological Collections, St. Louis District

Landowner(s): US Army Corps of Engineers, Louisville District

Sponsor(s): US Army Corps of Engineers Mandatory Center of Expertise for the Curation and Management of Archaeological Collections, St. Louis District

Repository(s): Glenn A. Black Laboratory of Archaeology, Indiana University

Prepared By(s): Veterans Curation Program

Submitted To(s): US Army Corps of Engineers, Louisville District


Notes

General Note: The digital materials in this collection were processed by the Veterans Curation Program (VCP), and include the artifact database, artifact report, and finding aid. Additional digital materials held by the VCP include the box inventory, card stock inserts, GBL artifact inventory, GBL catalog, document folder listing, and initial data collection. For additional information on these materials, refer to the Finding Aid.


File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
Indian-Hill--Artifact-Report.pdf 37.82kb Jan 9, 2017 4:35:53 PM Confidential

Accessing Restricted Files

At least one of the files for this resource is restricted from public view. For more information regarding access to these files, please reference the contact information below

Contact(s): US Army Corps of Engineers Mandatory Center of Expertise for the Curation and Management of Archaeological Collections, St. Louis District

Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America