Little Guns on the Big Elk: Discovering Fort Hollingsworth (1813-1815), Elkton, Maryland
Fort Hollingsworth, erected by the citizens of Cecil County, Maryland, in April 1813 to protect the area from British incursions, was one of a series of small breastworks that protected the upper reaches of the Chesapeake Bay and the ‘back door’ to Philadelphia during the War of 1812. Fort Hollingsworth saw brief action in 1814 and, after the war, was demolished and the land returned to farming. Geophysical survey, exploratory soil borings, and detailed topographic mapping, and focused excavation, convincingly and economically identified the footprint of this long-lost fort. The work was undertaken by the Archeological Society of Maryland in 2011 and 2012.
Cite this Record
Little Guns on the Big Elk: Discovering Fort Hollingsworth (1813-1815), Elkton, Maryland. James Gibb, William E. Stephens, Peter Quantock. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Leicester, England, U.K. 2013 ( tDAR id: 428199)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Society for Historical Archaeology