Life and Death Inside and Outside the Village of Marshall's Pen
Author(s): James A. Delle
Established in 1812, Marshall’s Pen was a coffee estate owned by the former governor of Jamaica, Alexander Lindsay, the 6th Earl of Balcarres. This paper will consider recent archaeological investigations at Marshall’s Pen, concentrating specifically on the settlement pattern of enslaved housing both in the central village on the estate, and four satellite settlements dispersed amongst the provision grounds worked by the enslaved. In addition to reviewing the settlement pattern of the living, this paper will review the settlement pattern of the deceased through a spatial analysis of the extant slave burial ground and its two dozen visible tombs.
Cite this Record
Life and Death Inside and Outside the Village of Marshall's Pen. James A. Delle. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Leicester, England, U.K. 2013 ( tDAR id: 428283)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;