Digitizing Betty’s Hope Plantation, Antigua, West Indies
Betty’s Hope was a sugar plantation that operated from 1664 through 1944 in Antigua, West Indies. For the majority of that time it was owned by the Codrington family, who were already prominent in the Caribbean due to their success in enhancing the sugar industry in Barbados. This trend continued when they moved to Antigua to take possession of Betty’s Hope in 1671. Since 2007, archaeological investigations have revealed much about the plantation. Current research has turned to digital technology to assist with the historical archives and maps. Digitization of the archives is being conducted to facilitate access to them as microfilm technology becomes obsolete. The satellite surveys of the site are being combined with the 18th-century maps of the plantation to reveal the site boundaries and to accurately select future excavation areas. Our research contributions will enhance accessibility and understanding of the site, as well as accelerate future research.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Cite this Record
Digitizing Betty’s Hope Plantation, Antigua, West Indies. Alexis K Ohman, Catherine C Davis. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Leicester, England, U.K. 2013 ( tDAR id: 428581)
min long: -141.003; min lat: 41.684 ; max long: -52.617; max lat: 83.113 ;