A School for Williamsburg's Enslaved: The Bray School Archaeological Project
In 1760 the London-based philanthropy, the Associates of Dr. Bray, established a charity school for the religious education of free and enslaved African American children in Williamsburg, the eighteenth-century capitol of the Virginia colony. Known as the Bray School, the school was briefly housed in a rented dwelling adjacent to the campus of the College of William and Mary. The archaeological investigation of the suspected site of the Bray school in 2012 was a rare opportunity to materially examine the daily lives of enslaved Africans and African Americans in a context other than a rural plantation quarter. This paper reports on the site's recent investigation, paying special attention to the identification of intact archaeological evidence of the site's eighteenth-century development and layout, as well as evidence relating to those receiving instruction at the Bray School.
Cite this Record
A School for Williamsburg's Enslaved: The Bray School Archaeological Project. Mark Kostro, Neil Norman. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Leicester, England, U.K. 2013 ( tDAR id: 428662)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Society for Historical Archaeology