All’s Well That Ends Well: The Re-Examination of Drayton Hall’s South Flanker Well
Author(s): Sarah Stroud
Drayton Hall was established by John Drayton in 1738 to operate as the home seat at the center of his vast commercial plantation network in Charleston, SC. Upon obtaining ownership of Drayton Hall in 1974, the National Trust for Historic Preservation initiated archaeological excavations to expose evidence of the plantation’s eighteenth and nineteenth century activities and residents. The 1975 excavations uncovered a well just south of the South Flanker building. The wood-lined well was excavated during 1979/1980 and almost 60,000 recovered artifacts were cataloged, however, the original catalog was not transferred into a digital record, thus the South Flanker well materials were chosen as the Drayton Hall case study for the DAACS Research Consortium (DRC). This paper explores the process and success of using the DAACS protocols on a previously excavated feature, referencing the original field records and maps, and evaluating earlier hypotheses about the stratigraphic deposition of the well.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Cite this Record
All’s Well That Ends Well: The Re-Examination of Drayton Hall’s South Flanker Well. Sarah Stroud. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Seattle, Washington. 2015 ( tDAR id: 433732)
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;