A Ceramic Analysis of a 19th Century Michigan Boarding House
Author(s): Brendan Pelto
The Clifton site , located on the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, was the settlement site for the Cliff Mine, the first profitable copper mine in Michigan. Operating throughout the 1850s and 60s, the town of Clifton began to disappear around 1871 when the Boston and Pittsburgh mining company ceased operations and began to lease out the land to individual prospectors. The Industrial Archaeology program at Michigan Technological University has been performing field work at the Cliff site for the last five years, with the last two years of work being focused on the site of the town itself. A complete ceramic analysis was conducted on the assemblage from the Boarding House trench which yielded surprising results, leading the investigator to suspect that the structure had changed purposes over the two decades of occupancy.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Cite this Record
A Ceramic Analysis of a 19th Century Michigan Boarding House. Brendan Pelto. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Seattle, Washington. 2015 ( tDAR id: 434008)
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;