Archaeological Investigations at the Historic Locations of Sulphur Springs, Oklahoma: A GIS-based Investigation of Cultural Rescources Within Chickasaw National Recreation Area
Author(s): Jeremy Brunette
Sulphur Springs, located in south-central Oklahoma on what is now Chickasaw National Recreation area presents a complex tale of frontier politics. Located around a series of mineral and fresh-water springs, Sulphur Springs was an attempt by European Americans to create a health resort on land owned by the Chickasaw Nation. National politics, including the Dawes Act, and issues involving water quality led to the purchase of the town’s improvements in 1902, and again in 1904. This purchase became Platt National Park, and, in 1976, Chickasaw National Recreation Area.Through the creation of a GIS database utilyzing historic maps, government appraisal records, and Sanborn fire insurance maps, a glimpse into the short history of Sulphur Springs emerged. This history was examined through ground-truthing, and surface survey which were used to examine lodging accommodations, within an emerging resort town.
Cite this Record
Archaeological Investigations at the Historic Locations of Sulphur Springs, Oklahoma: A GIS-based Investigation of Cultural Rescources Within Chickasaw National Recreation Area. Jeremy Brunette. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Seattle, Washington. 2015 ( tDAR id: 434127)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;