The Glassworks of Gunner’s Run: Excavation of Dyottville and Henry Benner’s Glass Factory, Kensington, Philadelphia
Author(s): George Cress
This presentation focuses on the results of archaeological excavation at Dyottville and Henry Benner’s Glass Factory, both located at the confluence of Gunner’s Run and the Delaware River. The Dyottville glassworks began as the Kensington Glass Works in the late 18th century and continued into the early 20th century producing many well- known glass bottles, flasks, and other glassware distributed widely throughout the country in the 19th century. The portion of the factory complex that survived beneath the streets of Kensington was investigated and excavation exposed foundation remains of three phases of the factory providing insights into the operation and evolution of this historically significant glass works. The lesser known Henry Benner’s glass factory dates to ca. 1850 and was located on the opposite side of Gunner’s Run from Dyottville. Excavation revealed a section of the factory foundation and glass fragments providing insights into the types of vessels produced.
Cite this Record
The Glassworks of Gunner’s Run: Excavation of Dyottville and Henry Benner’s Glass Factory, Kensington, Philadelphia. George Cress. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Washington, D.C. 2016 ( tDAR id: 434384)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;