Investigation Of The Sequent Guard Houses At Cantonment Burgwin, Taos, New Mexico
Author(s): Judith E. Thomas
Cantonment Burgwin (TA-8/LA 88145) was erected near Taos, New Mexico, in 1852 as part of the U.S. Army defense system in the newly acquired American Southwest. Situated along the road between Santa Fe and Taos, the cantonment provided protection for the settlers from Apache and Ute threats until 1860 when it was closed and abandoned. Archival research indicates that the cantonment’s guard house was a detached structure fronting the wagon road. An 1857 sketch of the cantonment, however, suggests that the original two room guard house was replaced by an L-shaped structure. Archaeological excavations of the guard house site area have provided evidence for the sequent guard houses at Cantonment Burgwin. This paper presents the results of the investigation and explores the utilization of the two structures.
Cite this Record
Investigation Of The Sequent Guard Houses At Cantonment Burgwin, Taos, New Mexico. Judith E. Thomas. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Washington, D.C. 2016 ( tDAR id: 434684)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;