Bunker Hill Farm, Camp Michaux: From Farmhouse to Bathhouse
Isolated in a single location in central Pennsylvania within Michaux State Forrest rest the remnants of an Early Republic farmstead, a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp, a Prisoner of War (POW) Interrogation Center from World War Two (WWII), and a Church camp. The one common factor throughout each of these disparate time periods is the farmhouse built circa 1788. This wooden structure stood until the 1970s when the Church camp ended. Now only the stone foundation remains along with questions of the structure’s use throughout its history. Through an analysis of the standing structure and ceramic sherds excavated from 11 test pits on the farmstead as well as a vast array of historical documents including land deeds, historic maps, and government documents, this study depicts the change in the building’s function from a private residence, a tenant farmhouse, to a latrine and bathhouse for United States soldiers during WWII.
Cite this Record
Bunker Hill Farm, Camp Michaux: From Farmhouse to Bathhouse. Victoria A Cacchione, Maria Bruno. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Washington, D.C. 2016 ( tDAR id: 434743)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;