Tlithlow Station: Puget’s Sound Agricultural Company and the Aftermath of the Oregon Boundary Dispute
Author(s): Nicholas Smits
Recent archaeological investigations at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in western Washington state have confirmed the location of Tlithlow (site 45PI492), a Puget’s Sound Agricultural Company (PSAC) outstation that operated between circa 1847 and 1858. As a subsidiary of the Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC), the PSAC supplied agricultural products to HBC posts and promoted British settlement of territory that was jointly occupied by Great Britain and the United States until 1846. After the boundary dispute was officially settled in 1846, conflicts over land ownership continued at Tlithlow, which remained in the hands of the PSAC until 1869 according to terms of the Oregon Treaty. Initiating the conflicts were PSAC employees who aggressively attempted to claim company lands as their own under American laws and through threats of violence and destruction of company property.
Cite this Record
Tlithlow Station: Puget’s Sound Agricultural Company and the Aftermath of the Oregon Boundary Dispute. Nicholas Smits. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Washington, D.C. 2016 ( tDAR id: 434816)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;