That’s a lot of wood: Excavations of the 1755 Carlyle Warehouse in Alexandria, Virginia.
Author(s): Daniel Baicy
In 1755, the Board of Trustees of the City of Alexandria, tasked prominent merchant, Thomas Carlyle with providing the Alexandria with a public warehouse. The warehouse, once built, would be rented out to various merchants on behalf of the town for several decades. The well preserved foundations of one of the earliest public buildings in Alexandria was uncovered beneath nearly 10 feet of building debris along Alexandria’s waterfront. The following is a brief history of the warehouse, the effort to uncover and document the building prior to and during the construction of a luxury hotel, and the results of those excavations compared with the historic record.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
- Archeology Begins Along the Waterfront in Old Town Alexandria •
- Society for Historical Archaeology 2017
Cite this Record
That’s a lot of wood: Excavations of the 1755 Carlyle Warehouse in Alexandria, Virginia.. Daniel Baicy. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Fort Worth, TX. 2017 ( tDAR id: 435174)
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;