300 Years: Archival and Archaeological Investigations at the Mission San Antonio de Valero (The Alamo) Probable First Site
The Mission San Antonio de Valero (known as The Alamo) was established in 1718, by Father Antonio Olivares. The mission was believed to be located in its first location for about 12 months before it was moved to a second location. The third and final location is where it is located today in Alamo Plaza.
The first site location has been lost for almost 300 years. In February, 2013, Kay Hindes, City Archaeologist for the City of San Antonio located a number of artifacts that are colonial in age in property owned by the Christopher Columbus Italian Society, located just north of downtown San Antonio. Excavations at the site occurred in March, 2013, and again in February, 2015. The presentation will discuss the discovery, as well as archival and archaeological investigations at the site along San Pedro Creek that is believed to be the 1718 founding site of the mission.
Cite this Record
300 Years: Archival and Archaeological Investigations at the Mission San Antonio de Valero (The Alamo) Probable First Site. Kay Hindes, Susan R Snow. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Fort Worth, TX. 2017 ( tDAR id: 435497)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;