The Polk Brothers Livestock Stockyards of Fort Worth
Author(s): Harding Polk. II
Brothers James Hilliard Polk and Lucius Junius Polk banded together to form the Polk Brothers Livestock stockyards of Fort Worth. Established in 1885 they were the first stockyard in Fort Worth. They were located south of the present Fort Worth Union stockyards and situated conveniently at the intersection of two rail lines. One notable contract they received was to supply the British Army with horses and mules during the Boer Wars in South Africa at the turn of the twentieth century. Around 1914 the stockyards burned ending the enterprise.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Cite this Record
The Polk Brothers Livestock Stockyards of Fort Worth. Harding Polk. II. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Fort Worth, TX. 2017 ( tDAR id: 435518)
Late 19th Century
min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;