tDAR Logo tDAR digital antiquity

Holly Bend Plantation: Early19th Century Blacksmith Forge and Dependencies

Author(s): J Alan May

Year: 2017

» Downloads & Basic Metadata

Summary

Robert Davidson built Holly Bend

(sometimes called Hollywood in the 20th century) between 1795 and 1800

on 420 acres that his father, Major John Davidson (early settler and Revolutionary

War participant from Mecklenburg County), gave him in 1795. The house, which

was built in a bend of the Catawba River and is reputed to have been named for

the holly trees that grow in great abundance in the area, was completed before

Robert married Margaret Osborne on January 1, 1801. Robert Davidson, wealthy

planter of Mecklenburg County, was listed in the 1850 census as owning 2,803

acres (1,134 hectares) and 109 slaves. Recent remote sensing and subsequent

testing uncovered the site of his forge and other dependencies that are

described in the poster.


This Resource is Part of the Following Collections


Cite this Record

Holly Bend Plantation: Early19th Century Blacksmith Forge and Dependencies. J Alan May. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Fort Worth, TX. 2017 ( tDAR id: 435593)


Keywords

General
Ceramics Forge Metal

Geographic Keywords
North America United States of America

Temporal Keywords
19th Century


Spatial Coverage

min long: -129.199; min lat: 24.495 ; max long: -66.973; max lat: 49.359 ;

Record Identifiers

PaperId(s): 672

Arizona State University The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation National Science Foundation National Endowment for the Humanities Society for American Archaeology Archaeological Institute of America