Fur Trade Archeology in the Fort Ouiatenon Vicinity: The 2012/2013 Investigations

Summary

This report details the results of magnetometry investigations at two fur trade-era sites in Tippecanoe County, Indiana. The first (12-T-9) contains the remains of Fort Ouiatenon, which was founded by the French in 1717 and served as a regional trade hub through most of the eighteenth century. The second site (12-T-335) represents the remains of a Native American village site located adjacent to Fort Ouiatenon. Test excavations were conducted at 12-T-9, resulting in the identification of a circular wigwam-like structure. Although few artifacts were found within the structure, the remains indicate that it was constructed of small saplings bent into a dome-like structure, which was then covered in bark. The structure was destroyed by fire.

Cite this Record

Fur Trade Archeology in the Fort Ouiatenon Vicinity: The 2012/2013 Investigations. Michael Strezewski. USI Archaeology Laboratory, Reports of Investigations 13-03. Evansville, Indiana: University of Southern Indiana. 2014 ( tDAR id: 436167) ; doi:10.6067/XCV80V8FZJ

This Resource is Part of the Following Collections

Temporal Coverage

Calendar Date: 1700 to 1800

Spatial Coverage

min long: -86.996; min lat: 40.39 ; max long: -86.952; max lat: 40.418 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Michael Strezewski

Principal Investigator(s): Robert G. McCullough

File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
02-Strezewski-2014---Ouiatenon-report.pdf 39.50mb Apr 1, 2014 Jun 7, 2017 8:12:41 AM Confidential
This report details the results of magnetometry investigations at two fur trade-era sites in Tippecanoe County, Indiana. The first (12-T-9) contains the remains of Fort Ouiatenon, which was founded by the French in 1717 and served as a regional trade hub through most of the eighteenth century. The second site (12-T-335) represents the remains of a Native American village site located adjacent to Fort Ouiatenon. Test excavations were conducted at 12-T-9, resulting in the identification of a circular wigwam-like structure. Although few artifacts were found within the structure, the remains indicate that it was constructed of small saplings bent into a dome-like structure, which was then covered in bark. The structure was destroyed by fire.

Accessing Restricted Files

At least one of the files for this resource is restricted from public view. For more information regarding access to these files, please reference the contact information below

Contact(s): Michael Strezewski