Architectural Reconstruction and the Andy Warhol Factor
Author(s): Andrew Edwards
Part of the Colonial Williamsburg’s new emphasis on interpreting the American Revolution to its visitors is the reconstruction of what was known as the Public Armoury, a weapons and material repair operation located in the center of Williamsburg between 1778 and 1780. Part of that operation included the commandeering of a residence on the adjacent lot in order to house the Armoury’s tin workers. After the war, this house became the home of a free African American family, one of the few such structures known in the Historic Area. Although today the reconstructed building depicts a busy tin smith’s shop, it served as a residence for 73 of its 75 years, at least the last 30 as that of a free black family. This paper explores the archaeological evidence for both uses and how the new reconstruction speaks to both.
Cite this Record
Architectural Reconstruction and the Andy Warhol Factor. Andrew Edwards. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. 2014 ( tDAR id: 436650)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections