‘We stayed there a year and 8 months’: Historical Archeology and British POWs at Camps Security and Indulgence, York County, Pennsylvania
Author(s): Wade Catts
General John Burgoyne surrendered his British army at Saratoga in October 1777, marking great victory for the American rebels. Four years later in the spring of 1781 the remnants of that army marched to a north-facing hillside on the Pennsylvania frontier of York County and built a prisoner-of-war camp. Referred to as the Convention Army, the York County site was the fourth such camp these British soldiers and their families had called home. In January 1782 the Convention Army was joined by the defeated remains of General Cornwallis’ Yorktown army and a second POW camp was established. Known as camps Security and Indulgence these sites were occupied by British POWs and their families until the termination of the American Revolution in 1783. Historical records, topography, and archeological information shed light on the ‘other’ occupants of these camps, how they were treated, and the ways they interacted with the local community.
Cite this Record
‘We stayed there a year and 8 months’: Historical Archeology and British POWs at Camps Security and Indulgence, York County, Pennsylvania. Wade Catts. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. 2014 ( tDAR id: 437030)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections