Charles Aubert sites and the ports of Québec during the XVIIth century
Author(s): Serge Rouleau
Québec remained the only port city of Canada open to ocean navigation during the XVIIth century. From its foundation in 1608, access to the city was performed through beaching sites distributed on both East and North sides. The Lower Town development was partly influenced by these landing sites and the properties belonging to Charles Aubert de la Chesnaye built near the eastern and northern shorelines were integral components of this process. Archaeological and historical data from these sites will be used to examine the efforts made by this merchant to take advantage of the shoreline giving access to the city and to understand his contribution to the evolution of the town’s waterfront.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
- Society for Historical Archaeology 2014 •
- Coastal and Port Cities: Maritime Archaeology on Land and Underwater
Cite this Record
Charles Aubert sites and the ports of Québec during the XVIIth century. Serge Rouleau. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. 2014 ( tDAR id: 437103)