Archaeological Evidence of two French Colonial Buildings in St. Charles, Missouri
Author(s): Steve Dasovich
Living floors for two buildings have been identified at the French Colonial Louis Blanchette Site in St. Charles, Missouri (circa 1770). Based upon artifacts found in the floors, one building has been tentatively associated with the founder and first ‘mayor’ of the City of St. Charles, Louis Blanchette. The second building has been tentatively associated with Blanchette’s successor, Don Carlos Tayon, dating back to approximately 1793. While neither floor has been completely excavated, significant information is available to discuss the general shape and possible functions of these buildings, one of which includes a double stone hearth located at the base of a sloped floor.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Cite this Record
Archaeological Evidence of two French Colonial Buildings in St. Charles, Missouri. Steve Dasovich. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. 2014 ( tDAR id: 437155)