Clifton Park Mansion Archaeology: Henry Thompson, Johns Hopkins, and the City of Baltimore, Maryland
Author(s): Mechelle Kerns
The Clifton Mansion was originally a two-story Federal style farmhouse, built ca. 1800 by Baltimore merchant Henry Thompson. The property was purchased by famed philanthropist Johns Hopkins and expanded between 1841 and 1853 into a Italianate villa that served as his summer home. The City of Baltimore purchased the Clifton Mansion property in 1895 from Johns Hopkins University. It was later home to the headquarters for the City of Baltimore Department of Recreation and Parks. Clifton Mansion fell into considerable disrepair during the last 25 years but is currently under renovation. The goal of this archaeological study is to recover data on the building sequence and the evolution of property use as well as documentation of landscape features.
Cite this Record
Clifton Park Mansion Archaeology: Henry Thompson, Johns Hopkins, and the City of Baltimore, Maryland. Mechelle Kerns. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. 2014 ( tDAR id: 437280)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections