Phase I Archaeological Sensitivity Investigation Fort Dix Military Installation, Burlington and Ocean Counties, New Jersey: Management Summary of Work Completed in 1997-8 (Task Order 3)

Summary

This summary report describes archaeological survey work and supporting analysis undertaken at Fort Dix in 1997-8 under Delivery Order 41 of Contract DACW61-61-D-0010 between Hunter Research Inc. and the Philadelphia District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. This Delivery Order implemented Task Order Number 3, issued by the Historic Preservation Office, Environmental Division, Directorate of Public Works, U.S. Army Fort Dix on February 27 1997. Delivery Order 41 was administered by the New York District. Dr, Peter Pagoulatos, Historic Preservation Officer, Fort Dix, (FDHPO) was the project manager for the survey. This report is in a similar format to the report on Task Orders 1 and 2 (Delivery Orders 31 and 35).

This Task Order envisaged a Phase I identification level survey of high and low archaeological sensitivity areas, directed chiefly at the location and preliminary characterization of prehistoric resources at Fort Dix. A total of 49% (15443 acres) of the area of the Fort Dix installation was excluded from the survey because of prior disturbance, the location of impact zones and ranges, and wetlands buffers. Delivery Order 41 therefore addressed areas in the remaining 51% of the base.

Field investigations were divided up into two blocks of work with the first phase from March to June, 1997 and the second phase during August to late December 1997. Work under this Task Order called for the completion of 8470 shovel tests distributed over 70 blocks. A total o f 8554 shovel tests were completed in 75 blocks. Fieldwork was completed in late December 1997, and global positioning and environmental data capture was completed in February 1998.

A copy of the subsurface testing inventory of this report can be found in tDAR at: https://core.tdar.org/document/438593

Cite this Record

Phase I Archaeological Sensitivity Investigation Fort Dix Military Installation, Burlington and Ocean Counties, New Jersey: Management Summary of Work Completed in 1997-8 (Task Order 3). Environmental Division, Directorate of Public Works, U.S. Army, Fort Dix. 1998 ( tDAR id: 438602) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8438602

This Resource is Part of the Following Collections

Spatial Coverage

min long: -74.651; min lat: 39.959 ; max long: -74.459; max lat: 40.042 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): James Wilde

Contributor(s): Hunter Research, Inc.

Project Director(s): Peter Pagoulatos

Sponsor(s): U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Philadelphia District

Prepared By(s): Environmental Division, Directorate of Public Works, U.S. Army, Fort Dix

Submitted To(s): U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New York District

Record Identifiers

Delivery Order(s): 41

Task Order(s): 3

Contract(s): DACW61-94-D-001

File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
HR_Phase-I-Arch-Sensitivity-Investigation_1998_OCR_PDFA.pdf 322.72mb May 1, 1998 Sep 25, 2017 2:48:02 PM Confidential
This file is the unredacted version of this resource.

Accessing Restricted Files

At least one of the files for this resource is restricted from public view. For more information regarding access to these files, please reference the contact information below

Contact(s): James Wilde