Archeological Site Survey, Basic Data Report, BPI_0527, N.D.
Part of the Blossom Point Project Page (DRAFT) project
This historic site consists of the bulldozed remains of a house and well site as well as a broad scatter of artifacts along an adjacent hillslope. The hillside dump which laps down into an adjoining marsh contains molded glass bottles and jars, wide mouth canning jars, assorted other glass bottles, and a shoe. A concentration of early 20th century bottles lies at the north end of this debris scatter. Ceramics include 1 piece of a stoneware container and 4 pieces of a white porcelain plate with 2 solid gold trim bands around the periphery. Most items visible in this dump appeared to date to the early 20th century. What appear to be the remains of an old house site are located on the uplands immediately south of the dump area. This site has been heavily disturbed by blading and backhoeing with numerous piles of earth and brick rubble in evidence. Facility personnel have indicated that the upper portions of a brick-lined well had been removed with a backhoe. This site is in a similar location to a structure indicated on an 1862 map as being occupied by a Joe Oliver. This house reportedly burned down prior to World War II.
Artifacts found in 14 stps by MAAR included pearl ware, whiteware, porcelain, bottle glass (olive, clear, amber, and light blue), 2 pipe stem fragments (mend), brick fragments, and window glass
Cite this Record
Archeological Site Survey, Basic Data Report, BPI_0527, N.D.. 2018 ( tDAR id: 441000) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8441000
min long: -79.514; min lat: 38.565 ; max long: -76.349; max lat: 39.749 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Landowner(s): Harry Diamond Laboratories, Adelphi, MD
Repository(s): Adelphi Laboratory
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|BPI_0527_ArcheologicalSiteSurveyBasicDataReport18CH219_1995_OC...||2.72mb||Mar 15, 2018 7:43:12 AM||Confidential|