The Chinese porcelains from the port of San Blas, Mexico

Author(s): Roberto Junco; Etsuko Miyata; Guadalupe Pinzon

Year: 2018

Summary

The port of San Blas in the Pacific coast of Mexico was designated in 1768 by the viceroy of New Spain as a Spanish navy base. It had a short life span as a port due to its poor planning and changes to the banks of the local river. However, for a few decades it was a busy port rivaling that of Acapulco. From this port, the Californian missions were supplied, Spanish expeditions were dispatched to the Pacific Northwest, and the Spanish forts on the actual territory of British Columbia were maintained. A visit to the site in 2016 yielded a small collection of sherds among other artifacts, which together with a collection of an ENAH PhD student forms a picture of the porcelains traded and consumed in the port in the late 18th and 19th century and overall in the Pacific ports of Mexico.

Cite this Record

The Chinese porcelains from the port of San Blas, Mexico. Roberto Junco, Etsuko Miyata, Guadalupe Pinzon. Presented at Society for Historical Archaeology, Albuquerque, NM. 2018 ( tDAR id: 441166)

Keywords

General
Chinese Porcelain Mexico San Blas

Geographic Keywords
Mexico North America

Temporal Keywords
XVIII-XIX century

Spatial Coverage

min long: -117.122; min lat: 14.551 ; max long: -86.739; max lat: 32.718 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Society for Historical Archaeology

Record Identifiers

PaperId(s): 323