Geophysical Applications at the Site of Fort Halifax, PA (36DA0008)
Author(s): Patrick McGinley
Fort Halifax was constructed in Dauphin County, PA, by the British during the French and Indian War as part of a line of fortifications along the Susquehanna River. It was only garrisoned for about a year, from 1756-57, before being abandoned and dismantled by the end of the war. Due to its brief existence, the precise location of the fort has been lost, although the name of the modern town of Halifax perpetuates its connection to the area. Additionally, past historical research regarding Pennsylvania’s colonial forts has preserved some crucial information about the site and its location. Several attempts have been made in recent years to locate the fort and study archaeological remains within the bounds of Fort Halifax Township Park, yet, to date, evidence of its walls or associated buildings has not been uncovered. This research builds upon earlier work by searching for evidence of the fort in a new location within the park. Geophysical surveying techniques are being applied to detect the presence of potential archaeological features indicative of the eighteenth-century fort. Ultimately, this project seeks to strengthen the bond between the people of Halifax and their town’s history by improving their understanding of the township’s colonial period.
Cite this Record
Geophysical Applications at the Site of Fort Halifax, PA (36DA0008). Patrick McGinley. Presented at The 82nd Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology, Washington, DC. 2018 ( tDAR id: 443487)
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Abstract Id(s): 21389