Perishable: Willow Ring AZRU8-2772
Creator(s): Laurie Webster
"Willow Ring, Accession AZRU-00008, Catalog #2772. Morris FS 3721. Analyzed by Laurie Webster, 2006. Willow hoop wrapped crosswise with two sets of split twigs. Measurements: D 15.0 CM. Image: AZRU8-2772 A: willow ring wrapped crosswise with split twigs. Recovered from Earl Morris' excavation of Room 147, Aztec West Ruin. Earl Morris’ description of Room 147 at the time of excavation is as follows: “the immediate floor covering was a foot of refuse, with Burials Nos. 60 and 61 on the surface of the refuse…[long listing of artifacts]… In each end of the west wall is a ventilator opening and in the north half of the east wall is a hole made by relic hunters…The one ceiling support was a pine trunk extending from north to south. The poles were of cottonwood, spaced in threes, and spanning the entire length of the room. The support broke, first at the center, and again at the north wall. In consequence, the ceiling bagged down more than 2 feet at the central point and probably would have completely fallen during the last forty years, wreaking havoc with the contents of Room 136-2, had not the early visitors to the ruin set up a post with a cap piece beneath the break in the stringer” (Morris 1928:379).
Reference: Earl Morris, 1928, Notes on Excavations in the Aztec Ruin, Volume XXVI, Part V, Anthropological Papers of the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
Cite this Record
Perishable: Willow Ring AZRU8-2772. Laurie Webster. 2006. Aztec Ruins National Monument ( tDAR id: 374068) ; doi:10.6067/XCV80K27FW
Aztec Ruins, West Ruin
Late Chacoan - Post Chacoan Period
Calendar Date: 1110 to 1140 (Late Chacoan)
Calendar Date: 1140 to 1280 (Post-Chacoan)
min long: -108.038; min lat: 36.803 ; max long: -107.955; max lat: 36.861 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Gary Brown
Principal Investigator(s): Laurie Webster
Repository(s): American Museum of Natural History, New York City, NY
Rights & Attribution: Artifact was collected from Aztec West Ruin excavations by Earl Morris between 1916 and 1922. Morris' excavations were sponsored and funded by the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
Rights & Attribution: High resolution images of the item are archived and available to researchers through the National Park Service, Aztec Ruins National Monument.
Rights & Attribution: Publication or use of the image is restricted; permission may be obtained through consultation with American Museum of Natural History and Aztec Ruins National Monument.
|Original Item: Property of American Museum of Natural History, New York.|
|Image: NPS, Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Original Item: Housed at Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
Related Comparative Collections
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Hibben Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at American Museum of Natural History, New York|
|Aztec Ruins Collections housed at Aztec Ruins National Monument, Aztec, New Mexico|
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|azru8-2772-a.jpg||149.50kb||Dec 30, 2011 2:12:02 PM||Public|