The Artifacts of Tikal—Utilitarian Artifacts and Unworked Material Tikal Report 27B
Occupied continuously for 1,500 years, Tikal was the most important demographic, economic, administrative, and ritual center of its region. The collection of materials recovered at Tikal is the largest and most diverse known from the Lowlands.
This book provides a major body of primary data. The artifacts, represented by such raw materials as chert and shell are classified by type, number, condition, possible ancient use, form, material, size, and such secondary modifications as decoration and reworking, as well as by spatial distribution, occurrence in the various types of structure groups, recovery context, and date. The same format, with the exception of typology, is used for unworked materials such as mineral pigments and vertebrate remains.
While few artifact reports go beyond a catalog of objects organized by type or raw material, this report puts the materials into their past cultural contexts and thus is of interest to a wide range of scholars.
Cite this Record
The Artifacts of Tikal—Utilitarian Artifacts and Unworked Material Tikal Report 27B. ( tDAR id: 376535) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8C24XVM
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Early Classic • Early Late Classic • Early Late Preclassic • Early Middle Preclassic • Early Postclassic • Late Late Classic • Late Late Preclassic • Late Middle Preclassic • Terminal Classic • Terminal Late Preclassic
min long: -89.652; min lat: 17.158 ; max long: -89.497; max lat: 17.306 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Resources Inside this Project (Viewing 1-8 of 8)
- Appendix A: Relational Database Structure for Artifacts and Proveniences (17 Variables) (2008)
- Appendix B: Codes for Object and Provenience Databases (2003)
- Appendix G - 217 tables generated from Appendix F (2003)
- The Artifacts of Tikal—Utilitarian Artifacts and Unworked Material Tikal Report 27B (2002)
- Appendix C: Proveniences of All Defined Lots that Produced Material Other Than Potsherds (2003)
- Appendix D: Special Deposit Proveniences (2003)
- Appendix E: Excavated Structure Groups and Number of Excavated Lots by Half-Kilometer Zone (2003)
- Appendix F: All the Artifacts and Materials Reported in TR 27B (2003)