McCoun, Joseph/Sharp, D.S. House and Property
Author(s): Rebecca Gatewood Rapier
This document is a National Register of Historic Places documentation form describing the Joseph McCoun/D.S. Sharp House and surrounding property, which contains various out-buildings and other features. Located in rural Bondville, Kentucky, the private structure is east of the railroad and the Salt River. The one-story, five-bay, brick building has been architecturally classified as Early Republic/Federal with stone/limestone foundations and a brick frame. The property also includes a barn, root cellar, privy and garage. As a result of missing deeds, wills and lack of clearly recorded land divisions, the chain of the title for the house is unclear. The earliest ownership of the land, prior to the construction of the house, was in the late 1700s by James McCoun, Sr. The period of significance for the house is 1820.
The Joseph McCoun/D.S. Sharp House is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places for embodying the distinctive characteristics of a five-bay, central passage Federal architecture period and construction. Compared to other documented Federal style houses within the area, the Joseph McCoun/D.S. Sharp House is modest, small and a less academic example of a vernacular expression of Federal architecture. With this being said, the house represents an outstanding example of a vernacular interpretation of an academic style in the early-ninteteenth century.
This Resource is Part of the Following Collections
Cite this Record
McCoun, Joseph/Sharp, D.S. House and Property. Rebecca Gatewood Rapier. 2005 ( tDAR id: 378214) ; doi:10.6067/XCV8TH8M6J
Joseph McCoun/D.S. Sharp House
min long: -85.044; min lat: 37.81 ; max long: -84.703; max lat: 38.026 ;
Individual & Institutional Roles
Contact(s): Charles Niquette
Project Director(s): Charles Niquette
|Name||Size||Creation Date||Date Uploaded||Access|
|1990-crai-gatewood.pdf||1.02mb||Oct 5, 2012 12:54:18 PM||Public|