Cultural Resources Survey of the Waterloo Estates Tract

Author(s): Charles F. Phillips Jr.

Editor(s): Jennifer Salo

Year: 2007


"In October 2006, Brockington and Associates, Inc., conducted an intensive cultural resources

survey of the 161-acre Waterloo Estates tract on Johns Island, Charleston County, South Carolina.

The Waterloo Estates tract is located on the west side of River Road in the north-central portion of

the island. At the time of this investigation, vegetation within the tract consisted of mixed mature

hardwood and pine forest, fallow horse pasture covered in high weeds, low and wet areas covered in

scrub brush, and smaller sections of cypress swamp.

Investigators identified nine archaeological sites (38CH2124–38CH2132) and six isolated

finds (Isolates 1–6) during the cultural resources survey. Archaeological sites 38CH2124,

38CH2126, 38CH2128, and 38CH2130 are very light subsurface Pre-Contact artifact scatters.

Archaeological site 38CH2129 is a light scatter of early- to late-twentieth-century architectural

artifacts. Archaeological sites 38CH2124, 38CH2126, 38CH2128, 38CH2129, and 38CH2130 and

the six isolated finds (Isolates 1–6) are recommended not eligible for the NRHP. These five

archaeological sites and the isolated finds do not merit further management consideration. ..."

Cite this Record

Cultural Resources Survey of the Waterloo Estates Tract. Charles F. Phillips Jr., Jennifer Salo. Mt. Pleasant, SC: Brockington and Associates, Inc. 2007 ( tDAR id: 391173) ; doi:10.6067/XCV890252M

This Resource is Part of the Following Collections


Temporal Coverage

Calendar Date: 1940 to 2007 (Land subdivided and tract sold to Edmund G. Simons)

Calendar Date: 1690 to 1690 (John Conoway is assumed to be the first owned due to his name showing up on an early map of Johns Island in the area)

Calendar Date: 1880 to 1895 (Land leased to Frank Hymes)

Calendar Date: 1860 to 1900 (Land originally leased and later owned by Thomas H. and Isaac P. Grimball)

Calendar Date: 1824 to 1860 (Land owned by Andrew Milne)

Calendar Date: 1796 to 1824 (Land Owned by James Mair and wife and they named theses holdings Waterloo Plantation)

Calendar Date: 1900 to 1918 (Lan owned by Robert McFadden and daughter)

Calendar Date: 1918 to 1918 (Land owned by C. Dead Gadsden)

Calendar Date: 1918 to 1940 (Land owned by Charles S. Dwight and David G. Dwight - though split intially, recombined in 1933)

Spatial Coverage

min long: -80.039; min lat: 32.629 ; max long: -79.834; max lat: 32.814 ;

Individual & Institutional Roles

Contact(s): Sam Bethay; Jonathan Leader

Contributor(s): Charles F. Phillips Jr.; Jennifer Salo; Jessica Downs; Chris Frulla; Paul Zloba; Jimmy LeFebre; Emily Jateff; Nicole Isenbarger; Damon Jackson; Erik Mischker; Inna Burns; Allison Wind; Jennifer Salo

Principal Investigator(s): Eric D. Sipes

Landowner(s): George Nagrodsky

Sponsor(s): Caroline Path, LLC

Prepared By(s): Brockington and Associates, Inc.


General Note: "With the exceptions of archaeological sites 38CH2125, 38CH2127, and 38CH2131 and the probable African-American cemetery (38CH2132), development activities within the remainder of the Waterloo Estates Tract do not merit further consideration with regard to cultural resources."

File Information

  Name Size Creation Date Date Uploaded Access
waterloo-tract-survey-final-report.pdf 26.56mb May 27, 2013 1:06:04 PM Confidential
redacted-waterloo-tract-survey-final-report.pdf 18.63mb May 27, 2013 1:06:14 PM Public

Accessing Restricted Files

At least one of the files for this resource is restricted from public view. For more information regarding access to these files, please reference the contact information below

Contact(s): Jonathan Leader